December 5, 2006

Digging Up Old Brain Cells

I must admit I'm breathing a sigh of relief. Over the Thanksgiving holiday I told my nephew, who is not loving algebra, to give me a call and I'd help him. I really didn't think he'd take me up on that offer. Well, he didn't really. His mom did. Now I'm on my second algebra assignment and I'm finding I remember stuff I haven't done since high school. What I've forgotten how to do I'm googling and, "Whew!", it's coming back to me. Hence the sigh of relief.

I am often surprised at how much we forget, although 'forget' isn't the right word. The knowledge is in there; we just don't use it anymore. Or the memory is in there and we just don't think about it. I wish there was a way to replay segments of our lives.

A couple of weeks ago I was talking to a friend's husband about what he did for a living. Come to find out he does the same thing I used to do, you know, before I retired (yeah right). He used a word that described the type of systems he works on. SCADA. At one point in my life, I used that word almost daily. It was like a little brain cell rejuvenation when I heard it again; kind of like this algebra is now. It was rather fun talking to him about my former job. But I'm glad it's my former job.

I *heart* algebra and CeanBounter for doing the job he does so I can do the job I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment