When are we going? How are we getting there? How long will we stay? Where will we stay? Will MawMaw go with us?
Let's start with that last one.
Will MawMaw go with us? MawMaw loved going to Disney World with us and was looking forward to going again; however, my husband wanted this vacation to be just our family. So, I had to make a very difficult phone call. Not fun. It was very hard to break the news and she was very disappointed that she wouldn't be going this time, but she understood. Still. She was very sad.
Next question, when are we going? Even though the temperatures are sweltering, the best time for my husband is mid-September. So, we looked at the calendar and picked a week.
How are we getting there? No question. Flying. My husband did not feel it necessary to drive all the way from Texas to Lake Buena Vista again. And the good news is, flying would get us there quicker, giving us two more days than before. Seven whole days in the parks!
As far as ground transportation, a rental car is a must for us. CB doesn't like to rely on others for his transportation which is fine by me. Getting around WDW is very easy - I love those red and purple signs. We could be in the parking lot of any park within 10-15 minutes. Yes, we might have to take the tram if we parked far enough away, but what's a trip to Disney World without a ride on the tram?
How long will we stay? Our pattern is to suck all we can out of our vacation so we planned to arrive on Saturday and stay all week, leaving on the following Sunday.
Where will we stay? We weren't quite sure. We do have the mad love for Old Key West, but last trip we had lunch at Whispering Canyon at Wilderness Lodge and loved the look of that resort. Chatting with my husband, we decided to give the Villas at Wilderness Lodge a try this time. So, I got online to price it out and it showed that the resort was booked during our week. How could that be?
I don't know what Disney does or why they do it, but their online reservation system will sometimes show that a resort is completely booked. If this happens to you, don't let it deter you. Call them. That's what I did, and they had rooms available. So, I had them hold an 8-night stay in a 2-bedroom villa at Wilderness Lodge. That hold required no money down and I could either call and cancel it or it would expire on its own in a week.
You may be wondering why I didn't just go ahead and book the reservation. The advantage to simply holding a reservation is that it let us live with the idea for a few days. We could think about things like:
how far would we have to walk to get to our car?
would we enjoy the resort pool?
what about the layout of the room?
what kinds of views are available?
what are we gaining by staying here?
what are we giving up by staying here?
are we okay with spending that much money?
Ultimately, we decided not to stay at Wilderness Lodge. We felt we'd have a longer walk to and from our car each day and the additional cost just wasn't worth it. We'd rather spend it somewhere else.
So, any guesses as to where we decided to stay?